sábado, 26 de enero de 2008

last days in peru

The last three days of the trip weren´t quite as exciting as the first four, so I don´t think there´s much more to tell. We saw more river dolphins, this time a mother and two young dolphins. We followed them for a long time; they would come to the surface every minute or so. First the mother would surface and then a couple of seconds later, the two babies would come up a few feet behind, right next to each other, like they were attached.
We also saw gigantic water lilies, each about 4 feet in diameter. Apparently they can support the weight of a human baby, but I don´t know who would try that.
I met another pet baby sloth, this one a bit younger than the first. I got to hold her for awhile and I´m totally in love.
We went on a night hunt for tarantulas, that was really cool. Once they are out of their holes, they stay really still, so you can get really close to them. We saw two varieties: arboreal and ground-dwelling. The arboreal tarantulas are a dark gray and hide out under the ivy leaves growing on the trunks of trees. The ground tarantulas dig holes, each has its own, and hunt on the ground. They are really cool-looking, and only a little scary.
Other than that, we´ve seen tons of birds and bugs, more monkeys, and some other creatures. We went back to Lima today and right now I´m waiting in the airport for our flight back to the states! I´m sad about leaving, because I´ve had such a great time, but I am sofuckingsick of mosquitoes that winter actually sounds appealing. Yesterday Sarah counted 11 bites on my right elbow alone.









It´s hard to see, but that´s the mother dolphin surfacing to breath.












giant water lilies















lydia the sloth climbing on my shoulder.

















try and find the tarantula, it´s in the middle of the picture!

No hay comentarios: